As it’s the new start to a yet another week full of work and meeting deadlines, I want to eat fresh to feel fresh. I want to eat meals that are made up of at-least one SUPERFOOD ingredient. And to ward off my MONDAY BLUES, I made myself a POWER SALAD for today’s lunch. It contains one of my favorite superfood – BUCKWHEAT. The salad also contains a good amount of lentils that are pretty healthy in their own as well. A single cup of cooked lentils contain almost 16 grams of dietary fiber, is a very good source of LEAN PROTEIN, FOLATE & IRON. BUCKWHEAT is low on the glycemic index which prevents a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. We can also say that Buckwheat has more protein than corn, millet, rice or wheat and is naturally GLUTEN FREE. Let us just make this salad for a powerful jumpstart towards a hectic week ahead.
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks asparagus, chopped
1/2 bowl mixed bell peppers, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp salt-free seasoning blend
1 tsp chopped fresh marjoram leaves
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh lemon thyme
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1 cup buckwheat groats
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Stir in lentils, reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, but reserve liquid. Transfer lentils to a large bowl.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Cook onions until they are soft and translucent about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and garlic and continue cooking until veggies are just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir vegetables into lentils. Mix in the seasoning blend, marjoram, thyme, lemon thyme, cumin, crushed red pepper, and cardamom. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg in a bowl; add the buckwheat and stir until well coated with egg.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add buckwheat and egg mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until buckwheat has absorbed the egg and appears dry, about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the reserved lentil liquid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed and buckwheat is soft but maintains its shape and texture, 15 to 25 minutes.
5. Mix buckwheat into lentil mixture. Season with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and vinegar. Stir and adjust seasonings. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Nutritional value per serve: Calories 270kcal, Fat 8.7g, Carbs 38.2g, Protein 11g
Looking for more options of healthy salads? Download Mevo – Weight Loss & Fitness app which is available both on Android & iOS.