Nowadays there is an increasing demand of tofu. Normally it is considered as a healthier replacement of regular cottage cheese, but there is actually more to know about this super soybean product. Tofu was basically originated in China and has a wet texture and is smooth, soft and spongy. Not only the soybean product is full of calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin E and is cholesterol free, but it is extremely low on fat and calories too. Today, we planned to make a dish with tofu as the key ingredient. The dish in not only packed with healthy nutrients, but is extremely tasty as well. Try it out now –
Diced firm tofu – 12 oz
Chopped scallion – 3/4 cup
Minced fresh ginger – 1 tbsp
Dried shiitake Mushrooms – 4
Sliced sauteed onion – 1/2 cup
Dried arame or hijki (optional) – 1 tbsp
Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Rice wine – 2 tbsp
Red chilli flakes – A pinch
Chopped green chilli – 1
Salt & white pepper – As per taste
1. Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in 1/2 cup water until soft. Slice, removing the stem. Retain mushroom soaking water.
2. Place tofu on paper towels to drain some of the moisture while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. Rinse and soak sea vegetables in warm water while preparing rest of ingredients. Squeeze out excess water before adding.
4. Add the mushroom water to a skillet and bring to a boil. Add ginger, sea vegetables, mushrooms, scallion, wine, and tofu, and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce, sauteed onions, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes & serve.
Serves – 4; Serving size – 3/4 cup
Calories per serving 110kcal, Fat 3g, Fiber 2g, Sugar 2g, Protein 8g, Sodium 300mg, Potassium 120mg
Log whatever you eat in our amazing Weight Loss & Fitness app – MEVO available on –